Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Trinxat, Catalan cabbage and potato dish

>> Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trinxat 1

I like cabbage in various ways, in spite of its supremely stinky smell when cooking. I like it raw in salads, sautéed with pimentón and otherwise. But this preparation is one of the best I know. Trinxat is a typical dish from Catalonia, more exactly from the region of Cerdanya, humble and simple, a sort of non-egg omelette made with boiled potatoes and cabbage, then roughly mashed, stir-fried and accompanied by garlic and charcuterie. It is also tasty and cheap for these times, and accompanied by grilled fish or fried egg makes up a wholesome and delicious dinner. It is ideal too for a windy and cool autumn day. Trinxat even has a festivity of its own, celebrated at the town of Puigcerdá... It is well deserved...


I recommend this dish to all those who claim that they do not like cooked cabbage... like my partner. The first time I prepared this dish he said: you don't notice it is cabbage... So maybe you will also change your mind. It is never too late. And this dish can not be easier. Even a six-year old could make it... so bring a six-year old.

Trinxat 2

Trinxat de la Cerdanya
Yields 4 servings

  • 1/2 large cabbage
  • 3 large potatos
  • 4 somewhat thick slices of bacon
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • Olive oil for frying
  • Salt
  1. Cut the cabbage into pieces, removing the thicker stalks, and cook in salted water along with the potatoes, skinned and cut into large chunks.
  2. Meanwhile, chop the bacon into small pieces (or leave it in large rashers) and sauté in a skillet over low heat with the very fat it renders, until crisp to your liking.
  3. Peel garlic and cut into slices, and sauté in the same bacon fat, add oil if necessary. When done, remove and set aside.
  4. When thoroughly cooked, put the drained cabbage and potatoes in the skillet where you just fried the garlic. Sauté everything slowly while mashing it roughly with the side of a spatula. Stir continuously for the flavors to meld, until you have a coarse puree. Add salt to taste.
  5. When you consider that it is well mashed and mixed with the bacon fat and oil, use a spoon or spatula to pat it into a sort of flat cake like a Spanish tortilla and let it get brown (you may need to add a little more oil), over a somewhat stronger heat. When done on one side, turn it carefully with a lid or plate, so that the other side browns too.
  6. Serve it warm with the bacon and garlic on top. You can also make individual or small snacks and serve them as tapas... delicious. To make small patties you can use pastry rings or egg molds, which are placed on the pan itself.
Trinxat 3

And again, if you have not ever tasted it you will be surprised, because the mixed flavor of cabbage with potatoes, garlic and bacon is fantastic. This is what I call culinary sinergy.

And by the way, stop by lovely Nancy's blog, Spicie Foodie, for a great roundup of Your Best Recipe for October including a recipe of mine, enjoy!

18 comentarios:

Belinda @zomppa October 31, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

What a beautiful non-egg omelette! Anything with bacon's gotta be good.

Gio October 31, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

wonderful dish that I didn't know, will try to do it!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) October 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

This reminds me a little of one of my favourite dishes Colcannon but with a definite Catalan twist. Love it!

Jenn November 1, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

This looks so simple and comforting. Perfect for this Autumn weather! And as always, beautiful :)

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris November 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

I must admit I'm not a cabbage lover, but your photos made my mouth water ...I will give it a try !!! Obviously, my tortilla won't look as yours...I have an innate incapacity to make tortilla...I can make macarons, but I cannot make tortilla..can you believe that?

azélias kitchen November 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

This is my kind of winter food, comfort food. I'm always trying to come up with different dishes for cabbage too as we get such good quality here, and I try to force down the family's diet.

Now all it needs is an egg on top! :)

Catofstripes November 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Ah now, this is good old fashioned British bubble and squeak, traditionally made with the leftover cooked cabbage and potato but now often with freshly cooked veg.

Dewi November 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

Your potato and cabbage sounds really comforting and delicious to serve during cold winter month !

Chelle B November 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

All flavors I truly enjoy! Looks and sounds delicious!

Nancy November 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM  

Trinxat is something I have to cook very soon. I've never tried it but I do love cabbage and the rest of the ingredients. I actually find the smell of cooking cabbage delightful.
Thanks so much for participating in the YBR. I do hope you will honor us with another one of your delicious recipes for the November installment.

Tasty Trix November 2, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

Poppa Trix would go insane for this ... anything that stinks while you cook it is a-okay in his book for some reason! (By the way, your Dutch cookies were beautiful, but I think something went wonky when I tried to leave a comment.)

lisaiscooking November 3, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

I can't believe there are no eggs! That's great. It hold together so well, and garlic, cabbage, and potatoes sounds like a delicious combination.

Kris Ngoei November 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

I'm convinced to try this dish out.... it is a beautiful photography... envy your lightning and glossy styling. Thumbs up!!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Aldy November 6, 2010 at 1:28 AM  

Miriam, What a beautiful blog! Mouth-watering dish, looks great.

Cheers from New Zealand, Aldy :)

Abrazotes y preciosas fotos.

Miriam November 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

Belinda: you're right ;)
Gio: I hope you like it!
VAl: it definitely relates to it.
Jenn: thanks!
Cristina: haha, maybe I can make tortilla but not macarons...
Azelia: yes! I also eat it topped with a fried egg!
CoS: I also make it with "cocido" leftovers, as potato and cabbage are used for making the stock.
Elra: it's comfort food indeed...
Pretend chef: thanks!
SF: sure!
Trix: haha, thanks! There have been some trouble with commenting on Blogger lately, because I've had trouble too in some other blogs...
Lisa: well, maybe it looks better than it really is. It's a bit crumbly in the end, but if the potatoes are starchy it can hold quite well.
Kris: thanks, it really means a lot coming from you!
ADG: thank you and welcome from the other side of the world! ;)

Quay Po Cooks November 7, 2010 at 2:16 AM  

Garlic, potatoes and cabbage definitely go well together. My god daugthers always give me lots of cabbage when she returns from the highlands and now I have a new way cook them:D Thanks for the recipe.

Yesim November 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

i love cabbage and patato but never tried this way ,it looks delicious.. nice presentation..

Jamie November 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

I come from a potato and cabbage culture as does my husband though very different cultures. But I never ate anything that looked as delicious as this. Poor man's food that is really wonderful! Must try this intriguing dish this winter.

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP